Friday 5 February 2010

Avatar: A dream of re-born

I waited long enough for the crowds to subside before I venture into a movie theater for Avatar - you know we have already too many crowds on any normal day at any normal place that to dart into a crowd by the Chinese standard - like go to a blockbuster movie in its first two weeks is not recommended for those with weak nerves. But still we didn't go to IMAX, we heard you still have too wait long queue and the "second-hand" ticket - an option available at higher cost to those value convenience has roared to RMB600 (or USD88) for a ticket worth RMB160 (or USD24). So we just watched it at a "normal" 3-D theater at RMB120 (or USD18).

Then I asked my friends: "what do you think after watching Avatar?" Friend A said "I hope to go to Avatar too, this world is too complicated, I don't like it, I feel I'm an alien here". Friend B said "I think the future belongs to the high-tech companies, I should really watch for it when I'm working on my stock-investment".

To me, Avatar is a dream of re-born.

But Jack's re-born is a little too convenient. (BTW, why do every muscle-guy from Hollywood who has the potential to save the world calls "Jack"? From 24 Hour to Lost, even the little guy in Titanic?) For an ex-soldier with two broken legs whose brother just died of the vice of this world, he seems to have very little reason to love this unworthy planet. While the option of Pandora offers a brand-new, "healthier" life, a whole, stronger body and a great "natural" love/lover, anyone in Jack's shoes wouldn't give it another thought before he takes the leap, I wouldn't give it another thought.

Really, to think about that. Everyone would like a chance of re-born.

A director wants to be re-born with a new blockbuster movie; a poor Mexican wants to be re-born by crossing the northern border with America; a poor kid living in the country-side of some in-land province of China wants to be re-born by going to a university in some big city; the 40-year old middle-class Parisian Paul Gauguin wanted to be re-born into a free artist life and he did it by taking off to Tahiti (meanwhile deserting his wife and five kids, a little not so convenient, but he had art as his excuse or cause of sacrifice).

If I had a chance of re-born, what would I like? I would like a place of fresh air, pure water, plenty of green, fewer traffic, little noise, no pollution - now it sounds like Pandora, or Switzerland? I would also like less work, more time, more travelling around the world - now it sounds like wining a lottery. And I would also like to be re-born into a stronger, healthier body that looks like Natalia Vodianova or Olivia Wilde - now it sounds like, I know, a dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment